Comparte
Rfernando26
Foroenarmita Amateur
Foroenarmita Amateur
Registro : 13/09/2011

Lema : “No, yo no soy un imposible; difícil sí, pero quien persevera alcanza.” M.G

Lentes de contacto del futuro...

el Mar Nov 22, 2011 1:58 pm
Será que nos toquen??

"RESEARCHERS BUILD TERMINATOR CONTACT LENS
Arnold Schwarzeneg­ger, your con­tact lens­es are call­ing. Researchers at the Uni­ver­si­ty of Wash­ing­ton have suc­cess­ful­ly built and test­ed what may be the first-ever Ter­mi­na­tor-style heads-up dis­play con­tact lens. For now, the lens dis­plays only a sin­gle, well-focused pixel and the wire­less power is only enough to give the appear­ance of con­stant illu­mi­na­tion, but this is the first step toward, as researchers describe it, build­ing lens­es that “may receive data from exter­nal plat­forms (e.g. mobile phones) and pro­vide real-time notification of impor­tant events.”
Offi­cial­ly called “A single-pixel wire­less con­tact lens dis­play” the super lens, which researchers suc­cess­ful­ly test­ed on rab­bits, is com­prised of a poly­mer sub­strate, light-emitted diode, anten­na, and an inte­grat­ed cir­cuit to har­vest the wire­less power. Researchers built the lens through a high­ly com­plex process that includ­ed fab­ri­cat­ing the anten­na, elec­tri­cal inter­con­nects, elec­tri­cal iso­la­tion and pads for sol­der coat­ing direct­ly on the con­tact lens.

To suc­cess­ful­ly build a work­ing lens, the researchers had to over­come sev­er­al key chal­lenges. First of all, the lens dis­play, which sits in a live eye, is stand­alone, mean­ing it can’t have wires run­ning out of it. So power trans­mis­sion and stor­age all has to hap­pen wire­less­ly and pri­mar­i­ly on the lens itself. Obvi­ous­ly, the lens had to be bio-compatible with the human eye — it can’t inflame or in any way dam­age the sen­si­tive organ and the radio fre­quen­cies have to remain at safe lev­els. The third and most obvi­ous chal­lenge was build­ing the nec­es­sary tech­nol­o­gy at a “microm­e­ter scale.”

A red LED, which was used on a pre­vi­ous test lens, was sub­se­quent­ly replaced with a blue micro-LED mount­ed on a sap­phire wafer. Researchers found that, due to the prox­im­i­ty to the reti­na, they could not focus the blue light. So a series of micro-thin Fres­nel lens­es were added to rec­ti­fy the image.

The fin­ished lens was test­ed on an anes­thetized rab­bit with no ill effects — though no one has asked the rab­bit for com­ment.

A sin­gle pixel does not an image make, but this is clear­ly the first step in always-available heads up dis­play and aug­ment­ed real­i­ty. Uni­ver­si­ty of Wash­ing­ton researchers envi­sion a whole spec­trum of uses for the lens tech­nol­o­gy. From the research paper sub­mit­ted to the Jour­nal of Micro­me­chan­ics and Micro­engi­neer­ing in Sep­tem­ber:

“As con­tact lens based biosen­sors advance, they may alert the wear­er of phys­i­o­log­i­cal anom­alies, such as irreg­u­lar glu­cose or lac­tate lev­els. With more col­ors and increased res­o­lu­tion, con­tact lens­es may dis­play text, be used with gam­ing devices, or offer cues from nav­i­ga­tion systems.”

Obvi­ous­ly, researchers are work­ing on ways to build more color, res­o­lu­tion and com­put­ing power into these lens­es. Yet, even with just a hand­ful of pix­els, researchers believe future lens­es could com­mu­ni­cate short emails, text mes­sages and nav­i­ga­tion­al infor­ma­tion. Some­one wear­ing more pow­er­ful lens­es could also, some­day, look at a store and see a Yelp Monocle-style over­lay of infor­ma­tion. “If such dis­plays were suc­cess­ful­ly deployed, they would fun­da­men­tal­ly change the nature of inter­ac­tion between humans and visu­al information,” note researchers in their paper.

Don’t go shop­ping for super con­tact lens­es just yet. The researchers only built a one blue pixel dis­play and also found that the nat­ur­al con­di­tions of a liv­ing eye dra­mat­i­cal­ly dimin­ish the lens­es’ abil­i­ty to hold power. Sure­ly a prob­lem they can over­come, but it could be quite a few years before we’re all walk­ing around with super eyes."

Extraido de www.Mashable.com
[b]